Our Home Improvement Agency (HIA) service can provide advice, support and practical solutions to enable you to remain safe and independent in your home.

Sometimes everyday tasks become more difficult, whether because of a disability, a change in health, or just because we’re getting older. We offer free information, advice and support about your housing and care options and what could be right for you. We can also advise on suitable repairs and adaptations, and look at ways to keep your home safe, secure and more suitable for your needs.

Sometimes, adapting your home may not be the best solution. Moving to a more suitable and accessible property may help you to keep your safety and independence. Our advice is free and our service is designed to help you to consider what is best for you. There is no obligation to move, but if you do decide that you would like to move to a more suitable property, we can support you through the process, offering information, advice and support along the way.

We can visit you in your home to provide advice and support on other issues, including:

  • checking whether you are eligible for any financial help (e.g. disability benefits or money to help you repair or adapt your home).
  • accessing other local support services. 

Photographs of work undertaken, showing handrails fitted and level access showers

    Handyperson service

    It can be very difficult to get small repairs and improvements carried out at a reasonable cost by a reliable contractor. The Hackney Accessible Homes Service can do this work for you. The operators are reliable and DBS (previously CRB) checked for your peace of mind.

    Examples of work that can be carried out include:

    • security improvements such as locks, key safes, door chains, etc.
    • minor joinery work.
    • minor plumbing repairs such as changing tap washers, cistern washers, ball valves etc.
    • fitting grab rails and small ramps.
    • minor electrical work such as changing light bulbs, fuses, etc.
    • fixing shelving and assembling flat pack furniture.

    Charges for work will be explained before work is undertaken. Anyone can contact the service directly. If the repair is to a rented property, the landlord/housing association will need to be contacted first to make sure they are happy for work to be done. The service will do this for you, or you may prefer to go directly to your landlord yourself. 

    Minor adaptations

    Occasionally, even everyday tasks can become challenging. There may be either small repairs or minor adaptations that we can do to help you to live independently. For example, a ramp or a handrail may be all you need to enable you to access your home independently.

    Other minor repairs and adaptations include:

    • door entry intercom
    • steps
    • lever taps
    • key safes
    • widening paths
    • moving light switches/sockets
    • putting in half steps
    • window opening equipment
    • additional lighting
    • stair rails
    • telecare 

    Major adaptations

    It may be that a major adaptation is the most practical way to help you to live independently, and this may include:

    • a ramp to enable you to safely access your home.
    • internal works, such as widening of doors, or a stair lift to help you to independently move around your home, ensuring you have easy access throughout your home.
    • replacing your bath with a level access shower area to make it easier for you to take care of your personal needs.
    • providing safe access to a part of an outdoor space, e.g. garden.
    • adapting your kitchen to allow safe and independent food preparation.
    • relocating heating or lighting controls to support independent use.

    The major adaptations process begins with an assessment, either by an occupational therapist or one of our trusted assessors. They will work with you to assess what would be best for you. Sometimes, they may recommend equipment rather than an adaptation, as this may successfully suit your needs and can be arranged quickly.

    There are lots of ways to fund major adaptations and we can advise you on these. It could be that you are eligible for charitable funding or meet the Council eligibility criteria for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG). This is means tested (unless the adaptation is for a child) and depending on your financial circumstances, you may qualify for a full grant, or you may be required to make a contribution towards the cost of the works.

    If you are a housing association tenant, your landlord may fund the adaptation for you.

    Get in touch

    Customer services opening hours:
    8.00am to 5.00pm Mon to Fri

    Service Centre Manager: James Brooks

    Tel: 0330 124 4487
    Email: HackneyHIA@millbrookhealthcare.co.uk

    Unit 3
    8 Orsman Road
    N1 5QJ

    Email the customer service team


    Send us your feedback

    Your feedback is vitally important in helping us to improve.

    If you wish to make a comment on the service, raise a concern or make a complaint please speak to a member of staff at your local service centre.


    Alternatively, you can visit our Feedback page for more information on how to send us your feedback or click the button below to complete our Customer Satisfaction Survey.
    Customer Satisfaction Survey

    HIA Privacy Notice